[Theforum] finding a home for weo & leo

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Mon May 20 13:32:57 CDT 2002

martin wrote:
>The important question is "Is it in the net best interests of evolt.org
>to own hardware?" If the answer is 'No', then there's a secondary set of
>questions about when and how to stop doing so

Unless we're seriously considering a no-downtime move, let's leave this
until later.

I don't mind spending time moving the boxes and then having other people
move the services to a host-owned box a month later. I just want to focus
on the move until it's taken care of. Then we can answer all the questions
we want and change anything we want.

And if we are considering a no-downtime move, there is a lot more to be
considered.

We've been down before... without notification. The world hasn't ended.

rudy wrote:
>your due diligence may only just be getting started by then

With each day, I see more and more why rudy has such an attitude of
urgency (er.. you know what i mean).

We can sit here and evaluate our best options all we want, but that does
nothing if we aren't able to execute it all in time. Especially when our
"best" option is probably going to put a greater financial reliance on our
fundraisers/sales.

Like rudy said:

>we may not have time to select a host "by the book,"

If you're kicked out of your house, are you going to spend 3 weeks
determing what you need in a shelter, what the best location is, and what
they serve for dinner on tuesdays?

We're in a similar situation here. We just have a *short* amount of time
to find a home, find and build a method to pay for it, and then plan the
actual move.

And, yes, I realize the hypocrisy of this message, as it's getting nothing
further accomplished. But we do need to get our focus on the goal and the
goal alone: fine *a* host for evolt services that will ALLOW the
organization to continue existing.

And, everyone, please shut the hell up about personal issues. If you guys
want to defend whatever, do it somewhere else. We've got shit to do here
(like draft design principles).

Miriam, the vote on the prioritization isn't over. It was just clear that
there was no opposition to leo and weo being the top priorities. Let me
know exactly what your vote was and I'll record it.

If you're going to respond to this with some defense of what you were
saying and whatnot, I'd ask you to do it offlist:

we do need to get our focus on the goal and the goal alone: fine *a* host
for evolt services that will ALLOW the organization to continue existing

thanks,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com

p.s. if i start annoying the hell out of you, sorry. but i dont want evolt
to die because of tangent threads and whatnot. i dont' have the casual
attitude towards this move that some have, and i'll get nasty
eventually. i'll be happy to dip out of this scene once we've accomplished
our goal, so just bear with me until then.