[Theforum] Re: meo

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Tue May 21 23:58:57 CDT 2002

aardvark wrote:

> i've always tried to respond to what people are asking for... the
> "hard-on" for a closed list was something challenged or disregarded
> by primarily one person (but asked for by many), who under pressure,
> threw a hissy fit and unceremoniously threw it at me... if you don't
> like how i'm doing it (sans documentation or records of best
> practices), vote to take it away from me... again, it's not that
> hard... wanna open thelist?  put it up for a vote...

hissy fit. rock on!

> if you want to see where the numbers are for membership and
> participation on thelist, i can tell you, i have the dates of each
> sub and unsub archived, and i think you'll find almost no significant
> loss or gain... you'll just need to give me some time to sort them
> out and remove notifications from theforum/thechat/thesite...
>
> i can also provide numbers on how many list members have been posting
> from addresses not subbed (we just hit 1% the other day, but it
> dropped again as i cleaned a few out of the list that allows
> alternate addresses to post)...

gosh, i hate disupting percentages, but its the math major in me.. where
are you getting 1%? i just tail'd the logfile and found this:

May 21 05:25:01 2002 (26754) thelist post from
philparker.dns at btinternet.com held: Post by non-member to a members-only
list
May 21 05:28:01 2002 (26866) thelist post from
May 21 06:14:02 2002 (28447) thelist post from schoolcraftj at sytexinc.com
held: Post by non-member to a members-only list

and thats within a 1 hour period this afternoon. at least no spam is
getting through though.