[Theforum] what to do with donations

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Thu May 23 15:08:20 CDT 2002

Marlene Bruce wrote:

>> Here are my thoughts:
>>
>> 1. Open a post office box so we have a mailing address. I'd like to
>> do this tomorrow or Friday, when I also go to the bank (they're right
>> next to each other). This address could be changed any time theforum
>> (or whatever committee eventually has jurisdiction) decides.

+1

>> 2. Create an email address to accept donations (through PayPal or
>> whatever). The email address could be something like
>> donate at evolt.org. I would be the recipient of these emails (and
>> someone else, say Elfur as Secretary?) and would have rights to
>> transfer funds received to a bank account.

+1

>> 3. Tomorrow or Friday I could inquire about opening a separate,
>> non-interest bearing checking account on behalf of evolt.org at Wells
>> Fargo (so I don't have personal tax headaches). I'm not sure if there
>> would be a minimum balance required to avoid all fees, or if they
>> would waive fees, but I'll find out. I know this doesn't solve the
>> problem of accountability in all its facets, but it would give us a
>> place to put money until we get the rest ironed out.

+1 definitely keep it seperate for your protection.  if there are
issues, we can probably wait several days to clear so no one has to set
it up as a personal account.

>> 4. Put a donation link above the fold in the evolt.org side-bar. It's
>> really working against us that one has to search for information on
>> how to donate to evolt.org.

+++1

>> 5. I've mocked up a new "how to donate" page (based only somewhat on
>> our existing page). You can see it here:
>> http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/HowToDonate. Please read and
>> comment or change.

it looks very good.  only thing I see is the hosting being free part
will have to change if we decide to generate revenue with meo.

Ron D.