[Theforum] meo barriers (was community vs. corporation)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun May 26 06:08:26 CDT 2002

On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 09:27  pm, Warden, Matt wrote:

> My issue is that it's being represented as
> a needed barrier, which it isn't.

I think that several people are questioning whether it's needed, as the
list of accounts Jeff posted the other day suggested.

Perhaps if the qualification were changed from:
> <quote>
>
> *Having written an article pertaining to web development for the
> evolt.org
> web site.
> *Having been a member of evolt.org for more than 30 days.
> *Contributing to the evolt.org mailing list.
> *A recommendation from a current evolt.org member.
> *A combination of these things.
> </quote>

to:

<quote>
*Having been a member of evolt.org for more than 30 days.
AND one or more of:
*Having written an article pertaining to web development for the
evolt.org
web site.
*Contributing to the evolt.org mailing list.
*A recommendation from a current evolt.org member.
*A combination of these things.
</quote>

iow the membership (which is still a bit of a loose class defn btw)
doesn't count for much on it's own, except that it's an absolute
requirement. But you need to be an active member, so you can't *just*
register to get free space.

> And it's also being represented by some
> as money that will *only* be used to keep meo alive, which it isn't.

I don't think it will be (or should be), but it's one possibility:
http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020520/005115.html

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,