[Theforum] starting at the beginning

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Jun 7 16:06:21 CDT 2002

On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 09:44  pm, Ron Dorman wrote:

> truth is, we
> just have the ingredients for the pie on the counter top and need to
> find a
> way to keep them from spoiling until we can get the pie put together and
> baked.

I think Ron's right. I think there's a difference between having an
*organisation* which can receive and spend monies, and a recognised NFP.

While our organisation is clearly not for profit, it's not the same as
being a 'not-for-profit' which will take too long to organise.

But Marlene's point about:
>> WE HAVE NO MONEY.
>>
>> This means that we're going to need one or more of these types of
>> financial supporters:
is correct (which is why we can't wait for the NFP to do something about
it).

John wrote:
>>> I guess everyone's started waiting for Sysadmin to draft
>>> requirements first.  Which is a mistake.  Let's start with
>>> asking Ron for a quote on replicating what we have, then
>>> start arguing about what we're going to drop when theforum
>>> belatedly realises that we're not even close to *that*
>>> amount of money :-)

That's true if we want perfection and we're paying ratecard for it. But
that was the point of doing the prioritisation. Work out what we *need*
for each bit (and separately what we would *want* and what we would
*like*) and cut our cloth according to what we can afford.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,