[Theforum] another online community in trouble

Marlene Bruce marlene at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 18 21:13:10 CDT 2002

Hi Isaac,

>http://www.kuro5hin.org/
>
>Check out the "raise funds for our next year" bar at the top. And ways to
>contribute. Very cool idea.

I like the concept (if not the execution) ... a community fundraising
meter. If we're going to do any of this, it needs to be a coordinated
effort.

Where would we begin?

Do we want to offer:

* "Become a Sustaining Member"
    Monthly or yearly fee for server space.

* "Give to evolt.org"
    Donation options.

* "Buy a Text Ad"
    Like you see on Google.

I'm not crazy about the text ad idea for the general
membership/visitors, in part because we've managed to stay away from
them. As far as corporate ads go, if we decide to include them we
should keep them as non-intrusive as we can get away with (e.g. at
the bottom of the page).

The sustaining member/donation option sure sounds nice.

On another note, how much do we need to operate in a year?

Thanks,
Marlene