[Theforum] another online community in trouble

Marlene Bruce marlene at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 18 21:50:11 CDT 2002

>  >     Monthly or yearly fee for server space.
>
>I think yes. I would pay for my space.

Not all will be able to pay what, say, I could afford (which isn't
much right now). How would we determine pay scale?

>  >     Donation options.
>
>I'd rather that we leaned on the previous option instead of this one. But it
>should be an option.

Not to mention it's probably the easiest to put into place.

>  > * "Buy a Text Ad"
>
>Community advertising from members to
>other members. You could even get a free couple of text ads for reaching a
>certain number of cubes, or something.

Okay, I see your point. I'll acquiesce on this one.

>  > them. As far as corporate ads go, if we decide to include them we
>>  should keep them as non-intrusive as we can get away with (e.g. at
>>  the bottom of the page).
>
>I disagree. We should support those who support us. See kuro5hin's sponsor
>box with Voxel and Promicro.

I guess I'm thinking about real estate above the fold. We ain't got much.

>Our costs are almost entirely bandwidth related. Almost. We should aim for
>US$800-1000/month.

Great. I'd heard a figure like that but didn't know how accurate it was.

Thanks,
Marlene