Distributed bandwidth (was RE: [Theforum] Re: [Content] Mail Alert! - Sat Jun 22 31226)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 13:49:48 CDT 2002

On Sunday, June 23, 2002, at 09:39  am, William Anderson wrote:

>> What's the status/thinking on setting up mirrors? Is the project
>> underway, in the planning stage, still under discussion?
>
> the bulk of my thoughts are in the BrowserIdeas topic in the wiki, and
> in
> the feel of beo being a museum, I thought 'curator' is a great term for
> the
> volunteers who wish to mirror chunks of beo ... but it kinda breaks down
> like this:
>
> - curators volunteer/donate bandwidth and server space which they
>   have full control over (e.g. no Geocities mirrors, etc) so that
>   browsers can be mirrored in their space.
>
> - the browser archive is broken down at the root directory level
>
> - each curator carries however many browsers they feel they can handle
>   in terms of keeping them up-to-date and being available for download

I like this, but would rather see whole mirrors of all of beo.

But, could we do both? So when you click down to (say) the download page
of Win32 NN4.76, you're given a list of choices, some of which are
whole-archive mirrors, and some are *just that browser*?

Suggestion also for if we have multiple options for download: rotate the
order of the links since people tend to pick options towards the top of
a list (yes, I know, sensible people will pick the nearest mirror, but
the two factors operate separately)

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,