Distributed bandwidth (was RE: [Theforum] Re: [Content] Mail Alert! - Sat Jun 22 31226)

Beau Hartshorne beau at members.evolt.org
Mon Jun 24 10:22:55 CDT 2002

> imho, rsync is the first and best service to use for mirrorers to grab
and
> update their parts, or all, of the archive.  http and ftp should be
'last
> resorts'.

I wouldn't expect someone mirroring only a few files to use rsync. My
interpretation of the spec is that almost anyone can volunteer. They
fill out a form (where they include how much bandwidth they can donate),
download a browser from beo, upload the browser to their server, they go
back to the beo app to confirm the upload, the beo app checks to see if
the link is good, then makes the link available.

Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to ensure that the mirrors
with limited bandwidth don't get pirated? We can only count how many
hits the volunteer gets if they are referred by the beo counter page.
I'm concerned that someone may link directly to the volunteer's copy of
the mirror, and then run up the volunteer's bandwidth bill.

The only solution I can think of is this: get volunteers to check
referrers, and only send files to anyone referred by evolt.org. Is
something like that possible?

Does anyone else think this is necessary?

Beau