[Theforum] [---Dev] RE: [---tent] Article cleanup issue

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Jul 23 17:10:01 CDT 2002

martin,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Martin Burns
>
> > how would you go about accomplishing the querying and
> > still retain the existing functionality?
> > give the user a way of knowing how many total
> > available pages to browse through, and the ability to
> > browser to them.
>
> Why does this matter? I can see how it matters for a
> search, but for thehome page..?

well, it's been that way as far back as the code that walker set us up with.

for one i think it's useful because you may know approximately when an article was published with respect to when another article was published.  so, you go back through the pages of approved articles from the homepage, page by page until you find it.  it also is a really quick indicator to our visitors of how many articles are currently approved and available.

taking this off the homepage isn't really going to solve anything, just so you know.  you're wasting your time by considering it's not there for a purpose.  this is mostly because the category filtering of the data also uses the same homepage query (altered to filter by the selected category) and homepage display templates.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/