[Theforum] [---Dev] RE: [---tent] Article cleanup issue

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 17:25:25 CDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, .jeff wrote:

> martin,
>
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: Martin Burns
> >
> > > how would you go about accomplishing the querying and
> > > still retain the existing functionality?
> > > give the user a way of knowing how many total
> > > available pages to browse through, and the ability to
> > > browser to them.
> >
> > Why does this matter? I can see how it matters for a
> > search, but for thehome page..?
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> well, it's been that way as far back as the code that walker set us up with.

OK, but I'm not sure that "It's always been that way" is the right reason
for it still being there

> for one i think it's useful because you may know approximately when an
> article was published with respect to when another article was
> published.  so, you go back through the pages of approved articles from
> the homepage, page by page until you find it.

I'd question how many people actually do that. I really suspect that you'd
page through the 1st page or 3 and then search.

It works for maybe 10 pages, but for 100? I really wouldn't have thought
so.

Can we grep the log for accesses to page x of articles?

>  it also is a really quick
> indicator to our visitors of how many articles are currently approved
> and available.

Excuse the SQL idiot here, but wouldn't a simple count run quickly?

> taking this off the homepage isn't really going to solve anything,
> just so you know.  you're wasting your time by considering it's not
> there for a purpose.  this is mostly because the category filtering of the
> data also uses the same homepage query (altered to filter by the
> selected category) and homepage display templates.

I have the same questions about the categories too.

We don't have a strong taxonomy that people can hierarchically browse
through - our site really is a "view 1st page or 2 then search"

Also starring in fine email     | "Names, once they are in common use, quickly
productions such as             | become mere sounds, their etymology being
martin at easyweb.co.uk            | buried, like so many of the earth's marvels,
martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com | beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie