[Theforum] status.evolt.org proposal

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Aug 15 15:15:54 CDT 2002

Ron suggested raising this as a separate thread so it might get more
attention

in light of the recent and forthcoming outages, it might be a nice idea to
have a status.evolt.org site which has evolt.org's current status on it -
from my previous post, an explanation:

"Yah - can I propose we quickly build status.evolt.org either now or for
post-this-outage so that instead of sysadmin types having to write articles
and approve them etc etc bollocks, we have a mechanism for showing people
that weo/leo/beo/deo/meo/etc is alive/dead and if dead, for what reason, and
also to give announcements of any forthcoming outages ... makes sense,
especially since we provide services via meo / beo ..."

This stops downtime notifications appearing as articles on weo, which then
clutter the database with eventually utterly stale content.  Something as
major as the move merits an article IMHO, although I would reckon any such
article should feature around the actual move itself and how it was done, as
opposed to a simple notification that it's happening - hey, real life
experiences people :)

Ron also suggested it be hosted offsite from the rest of the *eo farm - I
totally concur.  I can offer up space on a box appearing in telehouse
docklands in london later in the month, alternately us UKvolters have the
evolt.org.uk box in texas (go figure) which I'm sure is equally up for the
task.

Comments and thoughts, people?

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'