[Theforum] Re: [Content] E-mail Addresses in Archive

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Oct 26 14:41:29 CDT 2002

(sent to theforum as it pertains to the Zen of evolt)

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Dean Mah wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 05:40:24PM +0100, Martin Burns wrote:

> > > ... if you are reading this from google and want to contact the
> > > author directly, you can't.
> >
> > If you're reading it from Google and aren't subbed to the list in
> > question, either
> > 1) You've chosen to be nomail so don't think seeing the addresses is
> > important enough
> > 2) You're not subbed anyway, so we shouldn't consider you as important as
> > those who are subbed.
>
> Interesting perspective.  I've always believed that we should be
> building community but also that we should be providing answers and
> support to everyone that needs it.

I don't disagree, but I think our first responsibility is to our current
members. One of the things our current members are pretty hot on is not
receiving unnecessary spam, so we need to strike a balance which still
provides some support for non-members while giving current members the
level of support they need.

To a certain extent, we do that already by blocking non-member posting to
lists, to keep our members' mailboxes free from spam. And we also allow
system-recognised members to see more info (eg recent comments)  and do
more (eg ratings) than anyone else.

That's not to say we completely exclude non-members, but the path to
getting that stuff is easy: register. Become a member - it's easy, and
free. If someone doesn't want to come to the party, then we don't have an
obligation to deliver beer to them. If they do, great - the fridge is over
there in the kitchen.