[Theforum] Evolters

seb potter seb at getfrank.com
Thu Oct 31 05:09:42 CST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 07:31, Isaac Forman wrote:
> I've been playing around with something today based on a design from months
> ago:
>
> http://www.triplezero.com.au/isaac/evolt/evolters2.gif
>
> I've talked before about renaming [thechat] to [evolters] and creating
> evolters.org as a social side of evolt.org.

That's something that's puzzled me for a while, the lack of a *social*
presence on the web when [thechat] is such an active community.

> At the top is a universal evolt.org header. I'm not really happy with the
> tabs or the presentation of much of that...

That's alright then.

> In the sidebar could be a listing of the top member sites, a search box, and
> then member text ads.
>
> Madhu might use his text ads to promote his recipes, or pitch for freelance
> work. I might use mine to beg for accommodation in Europe. Someone else
> might use theirs to look for a job, or promote a photo gallery, or promote
> an open source project.

Now that I like. I like a lot.

> Now, behind all of this is what WAS m.e.o sites. Free for maybe 2MB.
> Subscribers get more space, a certain number of text ads, a designation next
> to their name as a supporter of evolt.org, etc. You become a subscriber by
> making a donation (or paying a monthly thing or whatever). All of that is
> obviously to be determined.

Again, all good stuff. Are you thinking completely free-form sites like
meo, or something more constrained in terms of fitting to templates?

> I'm just hoping this might kick something off. I no longer have time to
> participate on thelist, but I do read [thechat] fairly closely and think
> there is a pretty cool group who enjoy social interaction and identifying
> themselves with the community.

Yeah, with work and life getting in the way, [thechat] has become my
primary source of interaction with the community. Anything I can do to
help?

> Thoughts?

Oh no, thoughts are dangerous.

seb.