[Theforum] Fw: [xxxlist] ADMIN Note (was: FW: Please don't vote.)

David U. davidu at everydns.net
Tue Nov 5 10:52:56 CST 2002

rudy wrote:
> [snip entire post]
>
> adrian, my apologies if this offends, but i am compelled to point it
> out

It's an open community still, right?  And this is administratia.. :-)

> there was altogether way too much use of the first person singular
> pronoun "i" in that post -- "i'll likely treat you," "i'm really a
> rough grader," "i've taken names," "i've seen way too many people lax
> on this..."

I saw this but I actually responded better to it.  It let me know there was
a person on the other end of the line, so to speak.  That actions have
ramifications and rules are there for a purpose.  The list admin rarely
pokes his/her head up to make a comment on the list but it's a nice reminder
that we have them and that they _DO_ have control over the list and how it's
run.  I like that.

> we should strive to have an open, welcoming, tolerant atmosphere, and
> not give the impression that thelist (and therefore the better part
> of the community) is run by a fanatic who keeps track of tips, and
> people's names, and judges them harshly

I disagree Rudy,  I can't really think of any other time where the list
admin has killed a thread or censured a poster on list or any other "harsh"
thing.  What happened yesterday was _good_ for evolt and _good_ for all the
subscribers.  Yes, he's a benevolent dictator, that's what a list dad is and
that's what makes me sleep a little bit better at night. (well maybe I'm
getting carried away).

The point is, a worthless thread cropped up, some people with even less clue
than the original poster responded on-list and then the list dad killed the
thread in it's track with a nice but firm email to the list.

EOF as far as I'm concerned.  As a member of "the community" I appreciated
it.

-davidu