[steering] Re: [Theforum] treasurer's report II

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 10:52:41 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, William Anderson wrote:

> Madhu Menon wrote:
> > At 08:00 PM 15-11-02, Martin Burns wrote:
> > > At the moment, we're using:
> > > 26.5 GB/month for all http
> > > 145.8 GB/month for beo (including deouk)
> > > ? for SMTP/POP3
> > >
> > > My guess would be that it's closer to 250GB a month all in.
> >
> > OK, Martin. How can we shift some of evolt.org's load onto servers like
> > the "$99 per month" type you're using for the UK site and bring some of
> > our expenses down?
>
> beo is a prime candidate,

Already underway - the primary traffic burden is on deouk

> as is leo

Once we've got Mailman up and running for css-d, this shouldn't be too
hard I would think.

> - meo is a sticky one though :)

Depends - if it's meo as it is now, perhaps. If it's new-meo (ie a set of
specific applications like photo albums or blogs), perhaps not.
CurrentMeo's a lower traffic drain anyway.

weo/teo's the hardest one, particularly difficult while it's on the
current CF/Oracle platform. Moving it to something else would likely make
it much, much easier.

The question comes down to whether the cost savings make the platform
change worth the effort, which is partly based on sysadmin/des-dev's joint
assessment of what the alternatives are and how easy migration would be.

Without wanting to usurp that discussion, I would imagine that the choices
boil down to:
1) CF with a different back-end db on the same box
2) Something else custom-built from scratch
3) A customised version of an open source community CMS such as Plone or
Geeklog
(there are probably other pluses and minuses to each one)