[Theforum] evolt.org revamp comment period open

davidu at everydns.net davidu at everydns.net
Sat Feb 1 18:13:13 CST 2003

<quote who="Martin Burns">

> What is meant by redirects? Redirect every page? Rewrite URLs
> transparently? Redirect all requests for a user's URLs to a
> user-specified URL?

Trivial -- just redirect the path of the $URI.

Do the lookup of current users to their new home and get it as $result
(the root of their new home)

then: $url = $result.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];

and either use a Location: $url redirect or a META refresh, seamless
transport...

> Remember - we still owe Ron $700. We have no money rn. If this doesn't
> happen, we will *still* have no money, but owe Ron another $500 every
> month.

Those are figures are crazy.  Our non-profit colo can sustain a 1U machine
with reasonable bandwidth for about $50/month (although that is only a
suggested donation).  Evolt might run about $100 month, but that's still
hardly $500/month.

We have five cabinets at Hurricane Electric and we're doing fine.

I've offered to transition into our colo or at least offload some services
(MEO being one of them). (And Evolt coult join the ranks of other groups
we host like the Special Olympics, musicbrainz, the Kaffe JVM, and many
other great non-profit sites and services.)

-davidu