[Theforum] Ron, we need bandwidth numbers

Lauri Vain lauri_lists at tharapita.com
Sun Feb 2 13:09:10 CST 2003

> Ron, please provide this information ASAP.

Also, how many hits do we get on WEO per month?

Isn't it a pretty simple calculation to find out what amount of
bandwidth would we need to redirect all HTTP requests to WEO.

Doing it in a dumbed-down way would be (REQUEST HEADER + REDIRECT
RESPONSE HEADER) * HITS = amount of bandwidth needed to redirect all
requests to WEO

I think it would remain under 50 MB... am I way off base? Even if that
simple calculation would give 500 MB (this estimate is waaaay too much
and only here to prove a point... would require many-many millions of
hits), we could handle that as well, true?

The reason why that was "dumbed down" is that when somebody goes to a
webpage, they tend to click around on at least 10 links and download
images and whatever on each page. Would I be correct in saying that
redirecting the initial request to another site off WEO would save us
hits by a factor of 20x and bandwidth by a factor of several hundred?

Let's say we have our number of hits down by 20x instantly after
starting to redirect all sites (to the location that the user pointed us
to). Within a week that would have dropped again by many times, as
search engines will start updating their indexes and regular visitors
will get smart as well.

Would we not go down to only a couple of megabytes per month after 30
days and avoid all sort of WWW linkrots? We do have lots of links to
WEO, so we shouldn't simply shut that down after a couple of months...
the redirections should definetly remain in service forever (the number
of requests would go down in time, but there would at least be no
significant linkrot issues).

Ron, please provide us some data on number of hits to WEO. Thanks!

Can we all agree on the fact that we would not be facing real costs when
we would avoid linkrot and start redirecting all requests? A couple of
megabytes of traffic after a month of starting redirecting... wouldn't
that be worth avoiding linkrot.

E-mail is another issue and I will not go into that right now, but the
amount that would go after that after a month wouldn't be all that bad
either, I imagine. But let's not go there right now. Let's agree on the
WWW linkrot/redirection issue first...

Cheers,
Lauri