[Theforum] evolt.org revamp comment period open

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sun Feb 2 21:58:37 CST 2003

> [meo] was created as an area for you (coll.) to develop things
> to be published elsewhere.

recognizing how shaky my memory is, and yet realizing that diving into
archives of several years ago is counterproductive, let me just say that i
share jeff's perception

experimentation was only one of the objectives

there definitely was a "community site" aspect to the meo concept

i've got all my codefest and evoltcon pictures up there, registered on the
meo home page, so that others in the evolt community can get a glimpse of
the personalities who were involved over the years in building the community

oh, we were so idealistic back then, weren't we?

i guess the way the wind is blowing now, perhaps i should mirror those pics
on my personal site in anticipation of meo being shut down

maybe the time has come for us to exit from the "experimental site" business

the profession has matured, and if people are serious about web development,
they will do some research, make a choice of operating system, server and
scripting language, and purchase some hosting

if they cannot afford a basic hosting plan to conduct their web development
experiments, they will search out "free" hosts

if meo is in the "free" host category, i despair of it ever becoming
financially viable

since serious hosting is probably out of our league -- and better left to
people like ron -- then i'm for shutting down meo hosting altogether

but email forwarding seems like a no-brainer to retain, based on the minimal
bandwidth it consumes

rudy