Forwarding was: [Theforum] evolt.org revamp comment period open

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 14:46:43 CST 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, .jeff wrote:

> martin,
>
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: Martin Burns
> >
> > OK, with David's kind offer, this makes sense, with the
> > proviso that it's being provided on a grace-and-favour
> > basis, rather than a guarantee of perpetual email
> > forwarding.
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> can't we all just say thank you and move on?  he's already offered it as an
> ongoing thing.  why do you insist on putting words in his mouth?

Not doing that at all - just providing cya for evolt.org so that there's
no meo-member expectation that we have to go go back to spending money
maintaining it at some point in the future, should something happen.

Whether or not David wishes to guarantee perpetual forwarding to
evolt.org, evolt.org must not be put in a position where it makes that
guarantee to meo members.

To be clear: We cannot go back to spending money on this. We don't have
the finance to do it now, and will not have it in the future.

And unless we think it's more important than maintaining the rest of evolt
(and the prioritisation discussion we had way back in the summer says
otherwise), we can't offer those kinds of guarantees.

My point is that this avoids boxing us into a corner in the future where
we *have* to spend money we won't have, because we weren't smart enough
now to avoid extending guarantees without thinking it through.

At the moment, we don't offer any guarantees btw... we can withdraw meo at
any time without notice or cause.