[Theforum] Re: [---list] What!? No t-shirt! [supporting evolt]

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Apr 11 21:00:55 CDT 2003

Elfur Logadottir <elfur at elfur.is> wrote...

> From: "David Kaufman"
>>
>> sorry, i dunno either.  theForum has been pretty quiet of late.

okay i did not mean to step on martin (or anyone's) toes in rushing to set
this up.  if i did, then i do apologize for acting unilaterally.

i did notice now that there is *another* a cafepress.com store set up as:
http://www.cafepress.com/evolt/ (i setup: /evoltGEAR, not /evolt ...) is
this perhaps martins work-in-progress?

the coffee mugs there were obviously a result of the same thread on the list
i was reacting to :-)  actually, now that i think about it, i think i like
<input type="coffee"> better than <meta content="coffee">

> ... as i pointed out on thelist during that discussion was that this
> needed to be in touch with marketing and finance, and martin did just
> that, caught the momentum on thelist and started the work for a
> cafepress account.
>
> but for it to be within evolt.org standards and maintaining the
> correct branding ;) this needs to be approved and in touch with other
> things done (read: right hand needs to tell left hand what it does,
> before hand)
>
> ...i applaud your initiative, but would've preferred discussion
> on the "backend" first, to make sure we're all working together.

thank you (for the applause) and i do see your point.

>> ...i did setup the checks to go to Marlene.  it's been up around,
>> what, 12 hours?  and there have been 4 orders, for 9 items, totaling
>> $157.97 paid, and there is a pending commission payment of $30.06
>> already.
>
> do you have Marlene's correct address?
> she's recently relocated from San Francisco to Washington
> or is this done digitally (have no idea)

as i mentioned in my original post, when i opened the account, i set the
payments to go directly to the address i see on the "support evolt"
donations-page, http://www.evolt.org/help_support_evolt/  and that address
is:

    evolt.org
    Attn: Treasurer
    P.O. Box 631
    Mountain View, CA
    94042-0631

    Important: Make checks, etc., out to "evolt.org."

is this not correct?  has the address changed?  if so, please let me know
where i should have the (monthly check) payments forwarded to!

> hey don't apologize, but would appreciate a teeny weenie discussion
> on this end before announcing it to thelist.

okay, well here comes a bit more from the teenie weenie discussion
department:

i would very much like to setup (and host) a site, where evolt members can
post product images and contribute other (non-image) suggestions, such as
humorous tag-lines to put on t-shirts, stickers, etc.

the absolutely hilarious suggestion (from .jeff, via Joshua i believe) about
a t-shirt with <body> on the front and </body> on the back, combined with a
hat that said <head> just made the whole thing completely irresistible to
me!  i had to do it.

now that i'm looking back over the thread, though i do see that progress was
being made (without need of me leaping forward) and it was not my intent to
squelch any of that.  if anyone can get a local t-shirt company to print
higher quality silk-screened shirts for $3 per, and evolt can afford to
invest in a priting a run of dozens or hundreds, that's great!  but until
then, we can use this cafepress site to "test the waters" risk-free and see
if we can even move a hundred shirts...

the products will be popular and the project (as a continuing revenue
stream) will succeed, imo only if the content on the shirts, mugs and
whatnot stays **fresh**, changing often, and reflecting what evolters want
and like ...the best way to keep the content fresh and relevant is to give
MEMBERS a vehicle to participate, involve themselves and take some pride in
the level of the quality products (and humor!) that are available... i.e.
something we are proud to point our friends to, and say, "we do that".

so... would anyone object if i put together and posted a plan for such a
site ... for a bit of discussion?  :-)

-dave