[theforum] the donation drive and other donation related discussion items

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 15:55:10 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Elfur Logadottir wrote:

> I've updated the donation bar to show the current status of the donation
> towards current goal, but only with regards to actual monitarial (is that
> the word) donations.

Cool, thanks

> We need donations for:
> - hosting weo
> - hosting beo
> - hosting leo/deo/teo

As mentioned before (though it may have been on Finance list), we should
account for donations on the basis of "what we would pay if we were paying
for them".

For weo, that's fairly easy - it's what Jeff would charge us for hosting
if we were a real client. No doubt Jeff can tell us that better than we'd
ever guess.

> - hosting beo
>     * same as above - i need help in changing that donation
>        to financial equivalent of some sort.
> - hosting leo/deo/teo
>     * currently on the same server as beo

Include teo with weo I would think as it's together with weo.

beo (main site, not mirrors), plus leo and deo are on the eouk box, for
which we pay $99+taxes a month. Works out just short of $120. Probably if
we were choosing a box as a replacement, we'd pick a slightly diff spec
(or so I'm told), so maybe $130 a month or so.

btw, paying for that eouk box isn't difficult - 4 of us handle it without
too much problem.

For beo mirrors, I have nfi how much bandwidth they're going through.
However, again using Rackshack boxes as an example, we'd be paying about
$0.15 per gig if we were paying for it.