[theforum] movement for redesign

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 16:36:16 CDT 2003

On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 05:16  pm, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

>> there have been two, or was it three persons, stepping up this past
>> week,
>> and i know about them, but we need a lot more.
>
> I volunteer for any client side coding Evolt might need (ie. template
> building according to the new design). Guaranteed to work in all
> browsers, any (X)HTML flavour, accessibility ascertained, nifty W3C
> DOM scripts that degrade nicely, the works. If you need me, mail me.

Fantastic. I would think that the desdev group would be the place to
hang out to get involved. Note that I'm still offering (and I'm only
getting positive responses for) a place to hold the major coding
sprint, around the end of October. If that goes ahead, I assume it's
going to be relatively easy for you to hop over the North Sea?

> Also I'm thinking of working on the article comments. Maybe writing a
> nice script for showing comments will be useful in my eternal quest
> for the Right Use of the W3C DOM, and in any case I'd like a better
> way to go through really long pages of comments (see my own articles
> for examples) and to somehow filter out boring ones.
>
> QUESTION: What (if anything) would you like to see changed in the way
> comments are *presented*, especially when there's a humunguous lot of
> them?

Threading. Definitely.

> QUESTION: Judge the comments (a bit Slashdot-like) and hide the bad
> ones. Good idea or bad?

Possibly. Or maybe an extension of the comment complaint system we've
got...

>> We need to refocus our groups, delegate tasks ... decide which tasks
>> delegate etc.
>
> QUESTION: Are the five groups still active?

Yes:
http://lists.evolt.org/desdevarchive
http://lists.evolt.org/sysadminarchive
http://lists.evolt.org/financearchive
http://lists.evolt.org/marketingarchive
http://lists.evolt.org/contentarchive (password protected)

Their level of activity tends to be related to the amount of work on at
any given time. So desdev has been very quiet as no redesign work's
really gone on in the last year, sysadmin's often quiet except when
problems occur. Marketing's the quietest of all. Content is very, very
busy cos it handles all articles and contact us requests.

> If so, would it be possible for all five of them to present some sort
> of report? You know, problems solved, new problems encountered,
> general strategy etc. They don't need to be long, as long as they give
> an overview.

Sounds good. Get it in writing on the wiki, perhaps?

Also, each group really, really needs to be thinking about its
requirements.

Now playing on iTunes: "Cholly (Funk Gettin' Ready To Roll)" by
Funkadelic from 'Funk Gets Stronger (Disc 1)'