[theforum] movement for redesign

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 18:56:51 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 12:32  am, Elfur Logadottir wrote:

> and while i agree that desdev does the development, i also think that a
> certain major changes should be discussed here first. but that might be
> unnecessary.

OK, sure.

IMO, the main themes of the redesign should be to (in no particular
order);
1) Internationalisation and Localisation.
     I think we're failing in our concept of being international by
requiring that
     every member read and write English to participate. Hell, even one
article
    posted in German caused a major ruckus. I *want* people whose first
language
    is not (US) English to feel comfortable as part of the evolt
community. Specifically,
    I want to encourage articles in members' native languages, and I
think a significant
    part of that is having the evolt interface customise to the user's
browser language
    settings.

2) Global Login
     Across all the sites, and ideally for the lists as well. Actually,
integrating mailman
     and archives generally would be useful.

3) Update the HTML/CSS to current standards.
    When we did it last time, we toyed with the idea of CSS-P, but
didn't think there
    was the adoption of supporting browsers to make it worthwhile. Now I
think it's a no-brainer

4) Integrated IA
     Considering the whole-evolt experience

All with the aim of improving the end experience for members - and
that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Now playing on iTunes: "Way To Eternity-Hallelujah-The Rivers Of
Belief" by Enigma from 'MCMXC A.D.' - a hit from way back in 1990