[theforum] movement for redesign

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 09:06:05 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 02:56  pm, Morgan Kelsey wrote:

>>> Hmm, dunno if I agree with that specific sentiment ... why can't
>>> thechat be
>>> the free baggie for evolters?
>>
>> I don't think we're disagreeing - you get to join thechat for free
>> (calling it thechat at evolters.org would be good), but if you want to do
>> the rest of evolters.org stuff, you pay.
>>
>> Trial membership would be useful too, if it isn't a pain to administer
>>

> i'm a little confused, are we suggesting thelist becomes a pay-to-play
> operation?

No, not at all.

evolters.org (aka much of peo) is a development of meo.

The problem with meo is that ppl weren't using it for coding
experiments (the original idea), they were using it to store blogs and
photo albums, sucking down bandwidth. And we had to slap meo members
for doing it.

We agreed some 9 months back that it should evolve into something where
people *could* do that kind of thing legitimately, but in a way which
was a net contributer to evolt's finances. And done right, it could
*completely* cover our costs, without needing to be constantly
fundraising for the bread and butter.

All the work things we do now remain entirely free.

Being a member of thechat remains free, but it works as an enticement
to try evolters.org. Trial memberships of evolters.org would also be an
enticement & try-before-you-buy (think like the way .mac is marketed,
but without a bunch of pissed off people who used to get the same
service for free the day before it launched).

Cheers
martin
--
Now playing on iTunes: "Feels So Good" by The B-15 Project from 'Ibiza
Chillout Session' - a hit from way back in 2001