[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Fri Aug 15 03:06:17 CDT 2003

                      Jeff wrote
                                               To:       <theforum
                                               cc:
                                               Subject:  RE: [theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Madhu Menon
>
> > The primary one is to reward those who *currently*
> > give and to increase the probability of *them*
> > giving again.
>
> This is definitely news to me.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

>you know, i skipped by the primary goal comment in martin's original post,
>but have thought about it alot today.  *if* we show amounts, i'd be
>concerned that while we may gain recurring donations from some of the
bigger
>supporters, we're likely to alienate not only those who have considered
>donating smaller amounts but also those who are current, small amount
donors
>that would have considered donating a small amount again.

Jeff, Madhu

You can attempt to second guess the established principles of donor
psychology if you like. But I can tell you that it ain't particularly so.
Given that the purpose of this is not to make everyone (especially current
non-donors) feel good, but to encourage a larger income without which we
can't offer the range of services we'd like to to non-donors, I have to say
I don't actually care much.

>so, if we *don't* show amounts, i'm wondering why we even need a donations
>wall.  surely we don't need to be giving recognition for donations that
took
>place 3+ months ago.

It's sorted in date order, most recent first (and batched in 10s) so the 3
month old stuff won't be right there with the highest attention. And
evolt.org should not stop being thankful for support just because it's some
time ago.

>that begs the question of whether or not we should try
>to revive the news of the month (community news?) thing we used to do.

That died essentially because we didn't get round to collating and writing
it, not because it was A Bad Idea