[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Aug 15 23:35:46 CDT 2003

At 09:42 AM 16-08-03, Sabrina Dent, Apperception wrote:
>Critically, there is no evolt "we" in this case.

Agreed.

>Any opinions or reviews
>posted are simply the POV of an individual evolter. It's not like
>evolt.org itself has an official position that FrontPage Sucks, for
>example.

Correct, but I'm talking of perception. If an admin like Adrian, Martin or
Rudy wrote a scathing review... could the rest of the community possibly
*think* that there's a conflict of interest or bias?

I'm just thinking to myself for now.

>Advertising is different from sponsorship. I am *very* uncomfortable
>with the idea of evolt.org sponsorship. I would prefer to simply solicit
>ads ala Isaac's original post on this subject -- we make a short list of
>acceptable non-text advertisers for actual image/banner/wahtever ads,
>and approach them.

I am ambivalent about it because I can see how we could have a "hosted by"
sponsorship agreement because we don't really review hosting companies on
the site, but not "sponsored by Apress/ New Riders" because we DO review
books. Ditto with software companies.

Regards,

Madhu