[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Isaac Forman isaac at bigtrip.org
Sat Aug 16 20:34:49 CDT 2003

> Could somebody please explain to me how it is that we're discussing
> companies buying advertising on evolt?
>
> As far as I am aware, the only discussion of adverts we've
> ever had was
> along the lines of "wouldn't it be nice to alloaw evolters
> members to buy
> text ads on the evolters site?"

Then you missed extensive threads we've had in the past. Dean at one
point came up with a list of guidelines that potential sponsors of
evolt.org would have to follow.

> If anybody doesn't understand why I say this, you might want
> to remember
> why evolt.org started nearly 5 years ago. There's also a huge list of
> practical reasons why ads and sponsorhsip are bad things.

Think about that again. The seed that grew into evolt.org was webmonkey
asking Dan Cody to take down his public archives. Someone tried to
extend the community and they didn't like it. We started our own list
(guerrillas) to plot the beginnings of a new community. If it weren't
for that moment, evolt.org would not have "started". The founding group
did not get together because there was advertising on the webmonkey site
(remember, there was certainly none on the MJ list). There were strong
ties to an open environment, and general opposition to graphical
banner-ads specifically. I think you'll notice that no one has suggested
that we host banner ads on evolt.org.

isaac