[theforum] text ads (was: Donation Wall - last chance to comment)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 10:19:29 CDT 2003

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 03:38  pm, Seb Potter wrote:

>> however, tshirts just will not cover our bills, so other sources of
>> revenue
>> are needed
>
> Well, I've worked extensively with various ad revenue models, and
> there are very, very few that work. We'll have to wait and see if
> home-brew text ads are going to be a viable model for evolt, but I'm
> reasonably optimistic in the short term.

I think you're right - ads alone won't do it. Tshirts alone won't do
it. I suspect that donations alone won't do it (although for any given
month, probably one of them might). It's going to take a range of
things all happening at once, varying from month to month. That way, if
one of them does really badly in a given month, we're still OK.

Now playing on iTunes: "Alli" by Omara Portuondo from 'Café Cubana -
Cigars, Cars And Cuban Cars'