[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Mon Aug 18 09:26:06 CDT 2003

Sabrina Dent noted:

>>I totally agree, I'm just not sure that giving ads as rewards for
>>donations is the way to go. It's not a huge incentive to donate

Hi Bri,

I disagree a bit.  If you look at a zoo or a museum or a theatre as a
model for 'cultural/community/volunteer' 'involvement and service' you
will _always_ see print and/or physical ads highlighting the names of
the 'platinum/gold/silver' or 'lifetime/sustaining/donor' membership.

It's a common model. A model that 'works'. And a model that *does*
provide an incentive to donate.  [Those little brass plaques that say
'Lion donated by ExxonMobil' make a huge difference in keeping some
of those orgs afloat ... (although it *can* be a bit disconcerting
seeing that particular signage on the men's room door at the theatre!)]

The real question is whether this model tranlates well for 'virtual'
communities.

I suspect that it does.  I think it's worth a shot.  I'd like to see
us try it out.

RonL.
(Some of the big donor folks "think differently": Ted Turner once
noted that he'd like to see a 'Forbes list' for individual donatees
to charitable organizations ... because that would provide 'incentive'
for him to 'compete' with Gates, Walton, and other folks like that.
His belief was that if someone 'kept score' donations would increase.)