[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Russell Griechen russgri at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 20 17:41:09 CDT 2003

Madhu wrote>
> >And look at the trail of badly used benefactors...Dan and Dorman comes to
> >mind.
>
> Er, our hosting costs are now manageable. Your point?
>
> The rest of your post seemed like a troll, so no response for it.

Yes, They seem to be manageable...but at what cost?
A string of used benefactors.  What about their costs...and cast
aside..unpaid?...tell me that is not true.

The free model will not ever work.
It didn't work for webmonkey or Dan and it won't work.
And the little smattering of advertising will not produce over the long
haul.

A paid membership will work...but a smattering of entry generosity ...but to
access any of the bandwidth consuming servers should be met with the user
login.
A paid membership will result in the smallest group of hard-core supporters
and will probably consist of the names you see on the forum and
thelist...and not all of them.
Lurkers will not join.
The internet is based on freedom...but not freedom to consume resources that
are not yours.
Put all that info, archives, services there but provide the marketplace a
place to function and the rewards are a true free internet...supported by
the free enterprise system.
Free trade works the world over.

Russell Griechen /stepping off the soapbox.