[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Sat Aug 23 10:21:04 CDT 2003

Isaac Forman wrote:
> To be honest, I'm quite embarrassed by the way that everyone here has
> responded.

I didn't respond at all because I felt that the bulk of Russell's
assertions were based on perceived and/or real grudges dating from the
earliest days of the creation of Evolt.  I was not there for many of the
events discussed so I have no vested interest in the arguments and I
feel that dredging them up again now serves no useful purpose.  The
discussion is moving *forward* and the ideas that have been put forth
about financial stability for the Evolt community have been critiqued
(sometimes a bit heatedly), but they have been critiqued on their own
merits.  Russell's message was essentially useless in any terms of
moving the discussion forward.

It was a troll.  It was aloof, demeaning, and quite frankly, rude.  I
would have preferred it if everyone had simply said "troll", ignored it
and moved on, but the people involved in this discussion care a great
deal and that can cause people to get more heated than they otherwise would.

Look at the first paragraph of his message:

"progress...or lack thereof..."  Completely snarky.

"do not see any particular claim of virtue"  Evolt isn't doing something
virtuous?  Where is all the self interest in the community?  Who is
rolling in the big bucks here?

"stated reasons have not been held in high esteem by many of the
posters"  I'm not sure which messages he reads, but I find that most of
the people on thelist are very greatful to have a forum to ask questions
and are completely amazed at how many answers they get and how quickly.
  The see a real community trying to help each other.  It seems to be
held in high esteem to me.

"the trail of badly used benefactors"  That is certainly a troll.
Dredging up old grudges that have many people on both sides of the
debate.  No useful purpose, just hurtful.

"Seb, I would like to see a verified list of your contributions."  What
the Fuck????  This is unspeakably rude.  Where do we get off challenging
anyone like this?  It's not like Seb claimed to have donated more
time/money/code/etc. than anyone in the history of Evolt and then
claimed that he owned the trademark or something.  Russell was either in
a really bad mood and should apologize, or he has a completely different
idea of what Evolt is than I do.

People were being rude back because Russell attacked them.  He may or
may not have had a kernel of a worthy idea in the post, but I really
don't care.  You write something as ugly as that message and I'm going
to ignore it because its completely vile rubbish.

If Russell wants to write something useful and polite, I'll gladly read
it and consider it.  Otherwise I'll ignore his messages.  Easy.

Now, can we get back to substantative discussion now?

Judah