hogwash!: [theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Aug 23 17:49:18 CDT 2003

On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 03:49  pm, William Anderson wrote:

> m still of the opinion that evolt.org has not, does not and will not
> exist to create a cash cow for people to profit from.  We've
> discussing seeking official non-profit status for evolt.org in the
> past, and I think there's merit in revisiting that at some point in
> the future.

+1 on that. The *only* purpose a non-profit (formally constituted or
otherwise) has in generating funds is to support the aims and
objectives it was set up to pursue.

In UK charity law, the legal term for doing things outwith those aims
(and particularly spending money on those things) is 'ultra vires'.
Google for it and you should find that it's one of the biggest no-nos a
non-profit can make.