[theforum] Wind down marketing?

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 05:15:41 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:06:07PM +1100, Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> Since there is some overlap between marketing and content, I move that
> the marketing group be wound up and its responsibilities transferred to
> content.
>
> Thoughts? Votes?

<brain dump>

I've had an thought in the back of my head for a long time now that maybe we
have too many administration groups. It feels (to me at least) that
inter-group communication is very fractured, or at least could be better, as
far as the marketing/finance/desdev/content/sysadmin quintet goes.

I can't quite define the problem, it just feels sub-optimal.

The amount of CC's required on this email feel like a symptom of this as-yet
undefined problem.

Unfortunately, as I don't have anything better to suggest *and* haven't been
able to come up with anything despite thinking about it quite a bit I've
kept quiet (apart from winding martin up about it on #evolt *:).

</brain dump>

... anyway you asked for thoughts ...

Some questions do come to mind:

Is the quietness on the current marketing list due to lack of initiatives,
lack of a clearly defined role, or just not much outside interest?

Despite the overlap, there are also areas of a marketing group that would be
outside contents skills/remit. Do we (content) have the requisite skills
outside of actioning content on the *eo sites to look after PR initiatives?

Would current marketing types want to join content to help with this? It can
be kinda high traffic with all the deo notices, feedback and article
management going on.

I'll be unwilling to vote until some (or all) of these questions are
addressed.

G.