[theforum] Lists vote

Tara Cleveland evolt at taracleveland.com
Sun Apr 11 17:51:21 CDT 2004

Lach wrote:
>Since there's been silence after the call for new list propositions,
>I'm going to call a vote on this.

>1.
>* Combine finance+marketing and sysadmin+desdev
>* bring steering back into the forum keeping the steering voting
>role, but not in a separate list

<snip>

Hmm.... I've been mulling this over for the past little while. I
haven't said anything yet, because my thoughts are still very vague.
But I guess I better spit it out before the voting is all done.

<rambling thoughts...>
I appreciate that people worry about elitism and closed lists (I
worry about that too), but I also worry that we're going to have a
complete and utter leadership vacuum. I know it seems strange to say
that now, since there's really not much happening in evolt-
leadership or otherwise. As far as I can see there needs to be *more*
leadership going on, not less.

Although, the day-to-day stuff does seem to get done, somewhere, somehow...

What I see happening is that no one is taking up the reins, feeling
like it's their responsibility to get new stuff done. People on
theforum tend to assume that someone else is going to take the
initiative and start something. I know that I have a tendency to do
this, especially since I'm really busy... and well... I'm sure
there's others out there like me.

So I'd vote for number 1 - but not only have steering in a voting
role, but also as the "you are responsible for taking the initiative
within your group and seeing that stuff gets done and new projects
get started" role.

In fact, I think taking the initiative and making sure stuff gets
done is probably the most important role for the steering reps, more
so than the voting role. We could all vote for stuff on theforum, but
who is responsible for making sure that what got voted on actually
gets implemented? I think there should be a defined person in each
group that takes on the role of the initiator. I don't really care so
much about the voting.

So maybe that's not exactly the same as keeping steering roles in
option #1... but it's the closest option...

uuunnhhhh...

...maybe I should just shut up now - since I didn't really pipe up
soon enough ;-)
</rambling thoughts>

Soooo... I vote

+1 for #1

*keep steering roles (in some form anyway - even if it's not a voting thing)
*keep the content and marketing lists separate, even though marketing
is small and low-traffic, I'm not sure those two groups really mesh.
There just seems to be more reasons to keep them separate than to
combine them. And marketing and finance seem to be opposite ends of
the same objective - better to combine those two.

Tara

--
---
Tara Cleveland