[theforum] Re: [Content] Nainil, please.

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Thu May 20 02:35:33 CDT 2004

[for the benefit of people on theforum, content has been dealing with
comment spam in articles over the past few days and we're looking at ways
to sort it out - G]

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:51:56AM +1000, Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> I wonder if ultimately, the best way to combat this, is to, rather than
> entirely disabling abusive user accounts, change their accounts so links
>  are quietly removed. If we're lucky the little spamming bastards won't
> notice.

Thinking out loud here...

Would it be possible to prevent certain accounts from commenting?

With this kind of functionality we could take a "2 warnings and then you
lose your voice" approach, whereby once we see someone pulling this shit
for a third time we disable their ability to leave comments.

Whether that's a permanent slap, or we give them a cooling off period,
would have to be decided later on, but what do people think?

G.