[theforum] Lists Hosting

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Fri May 21 07:49:33 CDT 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 02:36:22AM -0400, David Kaufman wrote:

> we do now have a comfortable nest egg, and no one can think of a better
> way to plunder it... :-) also, servermatrix looks like a *great* host
> to go with.
>
> i will however repeat my penny-pinching suggestion that we opt for their
> el-cheap-o Celeron offering and i'll even further amaze you all with my
> ability to be cheap, by adding that i much prefer their "$99 setup +
> $79 monthly" pricing option to the 49/99 alternative of course, since
> that saves us $190 (in the first year, and $240/year thereafter).

[good legwork finding promotions snipped]

We can take this information back to sysadmin and decide if the lower
spec. is reasonable.

> btw are you planning to run debian by any chance?  hope... hope...
> what mta do you like, qmail, postfix, what?  can we have a Bayesian
> spam filter on the give at evolt.org address?  *man* that thing gets some
> gnarly UCE's ...the content list too.

Yes to debian.  Yes to qmail or postfix.  (I favour postfix only
because I've hacked the code a little and because I hate the way qmail
does aliases.)  And yes to spamassassin and things like SPF which is
difficult to put in place on the current server.  As well as lots of
other updates once the box is dedicated.

Dean