[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Fri May 21 10:01:20 CDT 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:04:34AM -0400, David Kaufman wrote:
> Dean Mah wrote:
> >
> > Since we've never jfdi before (never paid our own way).  Who is
> > responsible for contacting ServerMatrix?  Should it be the person
> > paying the tab?  Or should it be someone from sysadmin?
>
> {smile} either, i suppose.  "someone from sysadmin" can tell me which
> pizza you guys want and what toppings you'd like on it, and i can order
> it, or i can give you the credit card number and you can order it.
>
> i *would* like to ask them what current promotions/sales they're
> running, try to negotiate a bit for a prepayment discount, some upgrade
> in service, or at least use the promo code i googled for a ram or cpu
> upgrade (or *something* -- i hate paying retail), so if you'd rather not
> haggle with them, i'd be glad to make the call.

I'd prefer to have you make the call (it makes more sense to me).
Once sysadmin and theforum (w.e.o and l.e.o integration?) decide what
the spec. needs to be, we'll hand that information to you and you can
purchase.

> either way what does sysadmin have an operating system preference,
> Redhat Enterprise 3, RH9, FreeBSD 4.9, or debian woody?  i think we
> know i like debian :-)

I think that the majority of sysadmin has shown a preference for
Debian.  But depending on integration level, it may need to be a
Windows machine....

> also, it appears from their signup form that they want one (and
> apparently only one) "official" contact name and address.  i wonder
> if that should be the billing contact (me) or an emergency tech
> contact (a member of sysadmin)?  i also wonder if multiple sysadmins
> can be "authorized" to call their tech support folk?

Good questions.  Dunno.

> not having done this before, evolt might be forced to choose an
> "official" system administrator.  you guys might have to draw straws :-)

neuro is our steering rep....  I'm in North America....  We'll decide
amongst ourselves if it comes down to it.

> by the way, if we *can* give them a list of "authorized" tech
> contacts (would all of them have root, i suppose?), who and how many
> *are* our sysadmin people currently?

The number of people that have root on the raq is a subset of the
people on the sysadmin list.  I believe they are genghis, neuro,
Garrett, Mike, Martin, and me.

Dean