[theforum] weo 2b: to OSS or not?

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 02:36:00 CST 2004

On Tuesday, November 9, 2004  @234, Madhu Menon wrote:

>A simple question: Does Drupal do our Search-engine friendly URLs?

Yes.

> And how will we avoid all the resulting 404s for the existing articles
when we move?

We can reconstruct any existing URL from the data contained in the
article database (articleID, alias/short path, date of publication etc),
the main concern is translating those on the fly in a timely manner.

My suggestion is to build a lookup table for mod_rewrite using some
storage mechanism (my preference is BerkelyDB, but whatever works).

We can also get mod_rewrite to fire back a 301 Moved Permanently to the
user agent, so indexes update themselves acccordingly.

This is an easy problem that's been solved many times before.

G.