[theforum] New design (was something else ;)

Martin Burns yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 03:53:09 CST 2004

On Wed, November 10, 2004 1:48 am, Elfur Logadóttir said:
> .:| From: Martin Paul Burns
> .:|
> .:| One thing though: are we going to do the new design that we
> .:| agreed ooh, 18
> .:| months ago? Note that the pre-work of cutting the Photoshop
> .:| into HTML has
> .:| been done, and whichever way we go, we need to wire
> .:| $presentation_layer
> .:| into CMS.

> I would say both. Because we're only migrating as a first effort i say we
> do
> that and create the template for the current look. We can then create an
> extra layout for the new design within said template, that way, if we go
> with drupal, you could choose the 'new' design as your default one while
> others still see the older one - until we do the revamp :)

If we only have time to do one, I'd say do the new one. Actually, I'd say,
even if we have the time to do two, let's still only do the new one.

Not only for the reason of we need to do it anyway at some point, but
also, if we recreate the current one, but it's not *exact*, people will
fixate on the differences and think of it as broken, rather than just
different.

They will also really notice any functionality that's been postponed and
think the whole migration is a failure, rather than understand it as a
replatforming job that's a lot more significant than any migration we've
carried out before.

Whereas with the new design, users will be much more easily convinced that
we're moving forwards, and will give them something positive to feel good
about for a while while we backfill some functionalities.

Wooden toys for toddlers:
http://www.purpur.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=95
Cute Baby Socks:
http://www.purpur.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=85_96