[theforum] Rebuild progress and this week's actions

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 10:41:46 CST 2004

On Wednesday, December 1, 2004  @677, Morgan Kelsey wrote:

[running out of the door to see a client but I'll quickly just throw some
more info into the mix here as I'm sure nagrom isn't the only one with
questions floating around in their head]

>of course, but right now we seem to be depending mostly on martin.

There are actually quite a few people involved, but I can see how it may
not appear that way. The rest of us are squirreling away in the
background trying to get the foundations ready so once we're into the dev
cycle it's easy to point willing hands and heads at the jobs that need
doing without there being too much delay.

Just look at the Rebuild project plan (http://wiki.evolt.org/index.php/
Evolt.org_Rebuild_%282004%29/Project_Plan) for some of the other names
involved.

Martin's lucky in that he's herding the cats, so he's more visible than
the rest of us.

>i reassert that it would be a tremendous disservice to past and current
>authors to change the current URL structure, which may or may not be
>reproducable with mod-rewrite (i'm not qualified to answer)

It's easy enough to do with mod_rewrite, even easier to do with drupal's
'path alias' system, where a custom path can be defined for a piece of
content irrespective of how drupal assigns a url in it's own scheme (here
I'm talking about /node/foo/blah).

We are all well aware of the trauma of killing existing URLs. How many
times have we seen the "Cool URIs don't change" tip on the W3c validator.

>#evolt is not a satisfactory forum for developers scattered across
>different timezones (imho).

Well, that does tend to depend on the hours people keep, I've had long
chats with many evolters in wildly differing timezones to myself. We also
have the wiki for archival purposes and this list for somewhere in
between the two. No one is saying that #evolt is the only place for
discussion, more that it is part of the overall machinery.

>i just did. not being familiar with drupal, i don't know how much work
>it will take for it to produce HTML that is "evolt-worthy".

Drupal has multiple themes, and multiple theme engines (PHPTemplate, TAL
to name but two). Just because one persons implementation isn't evolt-
worthy' doesn't preclude someone else's from being so.

Right, really have to dash now. If you think I've glossed over or missed
out anything then keep the questions coming.

G.