[theforum] weo progress - testing please!

Stéphane Deschamps (nota-bene.org) stephane.deschamps at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 08:16:27 CST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:03:52 +0000, Garrett Coakley wrote:
> On Thursday, February 17, 2005  @440, Martin Burns wrote:
>
> > (btw, GC has now completed IE5.x fixes. Screenies at
> > http://spiked.co.uk/evolt-xbrowser/
> >- - the only minor remaining issue is that IE5 doesn't space the links in
> >the top blue bar,
>
> Not totally completed, we still have the 'longest column' problem which
> I'm going to be looking at today. I'll have a look at the source order
> issue too.

Sorry to drop here out of the blue, I've had my head under water for a
while and will still be unavailable for god knows how long.

I've thrown an eye to the html/css and thought that you'd need to
either have what you said earlier (a clearing br or hr - I'd go for hr
because the unstyled version could look ) or include the footer div
into the content div, although I'm sure the question was thoroughly
thought about and footer was put *out* of content on purpose.

But then I saw that the elements I thought were floating are
absolutely positioned. Then you're doomed. See wired.com: the footer
can't be displayed *under* the absolute-positioned left bar, because
when the bar is longer than the content, it does exaclty the same as
on evolt. They had to resort to a big left-margin to counter the
problem.

I talked with Douglas Bowman about this method (see his article
"making the absolute relative"
<http://www.stopdesign.com/articles/absolute/>) a few months ago, and
he said that he's not advocating this method anymore for exactly that
reason: overlapping on the footer, like in the case at hand.

Maybe we should aim for a negative margin solution?
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/>

And it would also make the source order easier to sort, I guess.

(BTW I've looked at the print version and I *love* the position:
absolute; idea for div#printheader. I'd never thought of using it this
way. *clap clap clap*)

--
Stephane Deschamps
personal: http://nota-bene.org/