[theforum] weo signoff

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Thu Mar 3 12:00:38 CST 2005

martin,

>> do they drop the session id?
>> do you have any examples?.... (not trying to be onboxious, just can't
> find
>> any)
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=firefox+buttons&btnG=Search&meta=
> 2nd & 3rd results are spreadfirefox.com
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Debian+Packages&meta= - 4th result
> is debianplanet.org
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=odiham+posse - 3rd result is
> polytechnic.co.uk

none of those sites behave the way evolt does, by adding the session ID to
all links if cookies are off.

this is going to have a negative effect on SE rankings.

since we attract new members mostly through search engines,
i think this is pretty critical.

>> > That's what we are having.

we are?

>> so we know what we are voting on/for?
>
> On whether the site meets the requirements, the objective of which is to
> move. No finance report needed (although not having the ongoing income to
> fund both servers is a further spur).

this is unacceptable.
a member has asked for a report, finance should provide the report.

if we can afford to wait a month and resolve some things,
we ought to vote on it. but we don't know that without
knowing what we have in the kitty.

>> and then can we start a formal "shall we relaunch?" vote?
>
> We already did that back last year. We are not revisiting it.

no -- we voted on shall we relaunch, which we agreed to.
i'm calling for a vote on "shall we relaunch *this*", which is
an entirely different vote.

> This is a "as no-one has raised any unresolved critical issues in the time
> they have had, and as we meet the objectives, let's shift this thing out
> of
> vapourware" formality.

several people have brought up issues they see as critical,
these issues were/are: (please feel free to add)
- the design
- the session urls, and their impact on SEO
- frontend features from the old site that aren't on the new one

am i missing any?
does anyone else care, or am i just a whiner?

nagrom
http://www.morgankelsey.com