[theforum] Issue Severity

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 05:54:11 CST 2005

We've got quite a bit of subjective variation on what consitutes an
important issue on the tracker, so we've started using an objective set
of criteria, based on the Debian Severity Levels:
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities

critical
     makes unrelated software on the system (or the whole system) break,
or causes serious data loss, or introduces a security hole.

grave
     makes the site unusable or mostly so, or causes data loss, or
introduces a security hole allowing access to the accounts of users.

serious
     is a severe violation of site requirements, or, in the development
team's opinion, makes the package unsuitable for release.

important
     a bug which has a major effect on the usability of a site for the
average user, without rendering it completely unusable to everyone.
Explicit exclusions: (1) Standard Drupal UI (2) Content admin
functionality.

normal
     the default value, applicable to most bugs.

minor
     a problem which doesn't affect the site's usefulness, and is
presumably trivial to fix.

wishlist
     for any feature request, and also for any bugs that are very
difficult to fix, requiring drupal internal modification or coding of
modules from scratch.

Certain severities are considered release-critical, meaning the bug
will prevent release of the site. Currently, these are critical, grave,
serious and important.

Again, I assume no-one has any problem with this in principle. Tweaks
to definitions welcome, but they feel about right to me and the team.

- --
Now playing on iTunes: "Love on Your Side" by The Thompson Twins from
'Electric' - a hit from way back in 1983