[theforum] Design Competition: last chance for comment

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed Mar 1 13:42:26 CST 2006

Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:

> Sarah Adams <mrsanders at designshift.com> wrote:
>> Should some kind of prize be offered? I'm thinking something small,
>> like [something small.  Even a mug] is nice to have as a
>> reminder of a job well done, and would be a good conversation piece
>> for the winner - might help spread the word about evolt as well,
>> which is always good :)
>
> Good thinking - how about for all shortlisted entries..?
>
> (Actually, I'd like to do it for *all* entries, but don't know if
> budget will permit - David..?)

I guess that depends on how short the short list would be, of course....
:-)  But our cost on the two coffee mug sizes is $11 and $12 per.  I
suppose giving away 10 or 15 of these would seem reasonable.

We *could* certainly do more, (or do a more expensive item... or give
winners a *choice* of items) if we wanted to.  We have a comfy nest-egg
of about $1800 and have this year finally begun to *grow* it a bit each
month (instead eating into it a bit each month), since completing the
server switch.  Also the subscription of a couple of a couple of kind,
generous and selfless monthly-donors has helped out as well!

Goole revenue's still modest ut reliable, while Cafepress sales have
been nill since like, last summer.  I'm guessing that's because the
designs are old (and cafepress's site somewhat ugly).  Speaking of
competitions, wouldn't it be neat if we held one where evolters get to
submit the next evolt t-shirt or coffee-mug content?  Maybe some fresh
tot-bag and mousepad content would kickstart evolt gear sales.

but i </digress> :-)

-dave