[theforum] Vote Request

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 19:26:07 CDT 2006

On 7 Sep 2006, at 23:48, William Anderson wrote:

> Concentrate on the organisation itself, not a particular element of
> its
> implementation.  *Nothing is happening* is the primary issue.

Right now, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "Nothing is
happening".

Thelist appears to get posts. Thechat gets posts in bursts. #evolt is
busy every day.

Unless you mean:
1) The site designs that Tara and I put together weren't implemented
at all
  (T's needs drupalising; mine mostly needs the site to move to
drupal 4.7)

2) Lack of site articles

I think you're right in that focusing on the admin-y lists is a meta-
fix. I surely expect you're not suggesting creating work for its own
sake..? If you (plural and generic) want more happening, then make it
happen. Write articles. Implement designs (or come up with better
ones). Talk to your fellow evolters. Go meet them.

As I wrote in response to pessimism on content:
See, you're mistaking the formal structures for the community - it's
not the same thing at all. I talk to evolters *every day*. I meet
evolters face to face every few months. I've spent New Year with
evolters, attended 2 evolter weddings (and can't make a third next
month) and have 4 evolters as godparents to my children. I've been
offered jobs by evolters, and helped other evolters get jobs.

And that's me who almost never touches web dev professionally these
days (except to kick the arses of Knowledgebase UI developers who
haven't a clue), but yet I share an outlook and experience with
people who also used to and who still do. Sounds like community to me.

> Let's not vote, let's not argue, let's just do!

Well exactly.

 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/
Sell Cloth Nappies from your website:
http://www.purpur.co.uk/announcing-purpur-associates