[theforum] Vote Request

Alan Lloyd alan at www-ss.com
Fri Sep 8 11:37:24 CDT 2006

Tara Cleveland wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Whooo! The beast awakes!
>
> Sorry, this is a bit long, since I got up this morning and found
> reams and reams (can you say that with a non-paper form of text?) of
> emails to read and respond to!
>
> On 7-Sep-06, at 1:32 PM, Alan Lloyd [www-ss.com] wrote:
>> I suggest disbanding them and moving all these groups functionality
>> back
>> to theforum.
>
> I don't really think it makes that much difference. As a few have
> said, the most important thing is getting *something* going in any of
> the lists, not just "faffing" about with which lists exist for what
> reasons.

I personally think it does make a different. Having all these list just
 with only a few people on each was never a good idea to start with.

But that's just my opinion.

> On 7-Sep-06, at 3:33 PM, Alan Lloyd [www-ss.com] wrote:
>> I personally don't feel IRC fosters community spirit.
>
> Well that depends, I think it does for some people. The first place I
> really got "involved" in evolt was through the IRC channel. Actually
> chatting with real people in real time made all the difference to me
> in feeling like evolt was a people kinda place instead of just a
> mailing list, a web site, and a bunch of faceless committees. So, I
> think the IRC channel is a nice thing to have, but it shouldn't be,
> and it currently isn't, an official channel of communication. But
> please don't get rid of it! I don't know what I'd do without my daily
> dose of #evolt!

#evolt should never go away. Ron pointed out that most discussions about
the running of evolt happened their. I and several others did not think
that was the idea behind IRC.

> On 7-Sep-06, at 5:58 PM, William Anderson wrote:
>> We don't need another redesign competition, we don't need another
>> redesign
>> (not right now), nor do we need votes.  We need content, we need
>> people to
>> provide that content, we need people to consume that content, we
>> need people
>> to manage that content, and we possibly need people to think of new
>> things
>> to do with evolt.org.
>
> I sort of agree with this except I don't think we should put
> restrictions on what people can and can't do. Personally, I'd love to
> work on a redesign, but I'm not really into writing articles. So why
> shouldn't I be able to put my energy into that?

I agree with you their. Plus I liked your design.

> On 7-Sep-06, at 8:09 PM, Alan Lloyd [www-ss.com] wrote:
>> Who is in charge? (steering)
>
> IIRC theforum voted to eliminate steering awhile back - at the same
> time as we voted to eliminate the extra lists - which never really
> happened. I'm not sure I'd want another steering committee, but a
> steering committee has certainly got it's positive points...

Again personally I think this is what theforum should do. Together.

> On 7-Sep-06, at 8:42 PM, Martin Burns wrote:
>> True, and I wouldn't expect something *different* to be done than,
>> but in true OS tradition, if you're not prepared to do, you shouldn't
>> get entirely upset if nothing is done. Or, to put it another way,
>> requests for change/effort are so much more effective when
>> accompanied by a "I'll do *this* bit" pledge as it then feels much
>> more like we're working together.
>
> Hear, hear! (wow. Martin and I actually agreeing on something - will
> wonders ever cease?).

Agreed!

> On 8-Sep-06, at 12:02 AM, David Kaufman wrote:
>> the only "organization" evolt
>> has ever had is just whatever it needs for the list to continue to
>> send
>> and receive email to all the people in the world who want to
>> communicate
>> (or just listen) and associate (however loosely) with all the other
>> cool
>> web workers of the world, for free.  And I feel that that's okay.
>
> Dave, you rock. That was just such a perfect post. Thanks.

Now sorry but this is do disagree with. This assumes we don't want to go
anywhere with evolt. That we are happy just having thelist. Now that is
fine, if that's what people want, we can concentrate on just thelist.

Alan