[theforum] whither deo..?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Sep 19 13:53:18 CDT 2006

Responding to Dave Kaufman and Martin's comments:

'Dummy Ron' here didn't know what the heck this DEO thingie was ... so
he had to go play with it for a bit.

I actually _did_ find it a bit useful.  I have tried several different
schemes for organizing "interesting links" and not been satisfied with
any of them.  I have lost any number of 'color wheel' / 'identify the
font' / 'stock photography' / 'worlds best free editor' / 'cool
programming trick' / etc.  resource links over the years.  I keep
pulling them out of emails on theforum, putting them in 'a safe place',
and then losing them and starting over.

DEO looks like it was intended to be a central repository to capture and
organize those 'interesting links'.

I think that is a good idea.  I think there is still a need for that.
However, I think it needs to be a bit better promoted so more people
know what the heck it is, and it sounds like it also needs a bit of
execution rework ... like maybe adding a CAPTCHA or something (like only
allowing admins to enter links) to reduce the number of spammy links and
reduce admin time and effort.

-- Killing it would reduce update effort, but also lose the resource.

-- We could 'freeze' it and not allow any further updates until we come
up with a better scheme for allowing updates.  That would eliminate
admin effort in the short term, while keeping the resource and giving us
a bit of time to brainstorm whether we should add a captcha or make
'approving' new links a volunteer activity.

-- We could all go play frisbee golf instead ... It looks like a nice
day!

RonL.

;-)