[theforum] MOD: Hold Messages By Default

Paul Waring pwaring at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 05:03:34 CST 2006

On 09/12/06, Dean Mah <dean.mah at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've changed all lists (except content) to hold messages from
> non-members rather than to automatically reject.  For each automatic
> rejection, an e-mail is sent to the poster which is usually a fake
> address.  If you hold the messages, you can set mailman to not send a
> notification which prevents the queue from being flooded.

I run a couple of Mailman lists myself and I can tell you from bitter
experience that holding messages and emailing the admin is a right
pain in the backside. I get a dozen emails a day from both lists about
posts held for approval and it's a real nuisance, and these are fairly
small lists that aren't that well known. I also have to login every
couple of days to clear the queue of held messages, which are nearly
always spam.

Just something to be aware of when holding messages instead of rejecting them.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
http://www.roguetory.org.uk