[theforum] Revenue Generation/Spending was Fw: Your Website

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 08:20:24 CDT 2007

On 6/10/07, Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:
> On 16 May 2007, at 19:51, David Kaufman wrote:
>
> > So, if we could control (and really liked!) the advertisers... for
> > instance if the ads were for quality web development tools or cool
> > hosted services that we think evolt.org visitors would be thrilled to
> > try...
> >
> > A. Do you think putting text link ads on WEO (www. not just
> > browsers.dot
> > evolt.org) would be a cataclysmic error?
>
> No, not cataclysmic. I'd be sad to see it happen unless there's a really
> good reason.
>
> To summarise our current finances:
> 1) We have nearly 2 years' worth of hosting at current monthly cost (it
>      does get bumped up from time to time, and is currently US$69/month)
>
> 2) Current Google ad revenue from BEO is covering our hosting costs
>      comfortably - any donations we get on top of that are obviously
> handy
>      windfalls (memo to self: must set up my standing donation again).
>
> So I think within the current setup, I'd be resistant to putting any
> more ads
> on anything (and tbh, I think LEO archives might be a better place to
> start
> than WEO) unless we've got < 6 months' forecast costs on hand.
>
> > D. What would we do with the extra money?
>
> I'd be more interested to see what we can do better with the existing
> cash we have.

You mean, just improve something we already have or set up new features?
BTW, what do we have today? :)
Do we want more? Anybody feels we could have something else?

> And the place I'd be interested in looking at is a server upgrade. Load
> Average on the existing box regularly spikes above 20. We've all
> experienced time-outs I'm sure on WEO. Our current box is the very
> cheapest that ThePlanet do:
> http://www.theplanet.com/selfmanaged%5Fservers/allproducts.asp
>
> So what's the best investment for performance increase? More RAM?
> Faster CPU? A second box to offload DB to? I guess we're OK for disk
> space.

Bandwith usage okay?
I'd go for more RAM.
Do you have any technical info about our DB load?

Regards,

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz
LPI Certified - Level 2